Moving Checklist – Be Prepared!
Before You Move
- Schedule movers
- Make travel arrangements (Don’t forget to make accommodations for your pets!)
- Make note of all tax-deductible moving expenses
- Check on auto insurance, homeowner’s insurance, and health insurance so you’re covered during your move
- Start using up refrigerated food, frozen items, and pantry items
- Host a garage sale and donate what is leftover
- Begin packing (Be strategic and label boxes!)
- Notify service providers of your relocation
- Forward mail and medical records
- Transfer prescriptions
- Update bank account and credit card billing addresses
It’s moving day, and your mind is scrambled! While moving is very exciting, it can also be hectic and cause your mind to split in many directions. Keep these tips in mind in order to be best prepared for when your moving date comes! You might consider carrying the following items with you:
- The keys to your new home
- Map of new town and directions to your new home
- The telephone number of your moving company
- Cash or traveler’s checks
- Documentation related to the sale of your home
- Your insurance policies and agent’s phone number
- Prescription and non-prescription medicines
- Any important personal records and documents
- Any items of great personal valuable that are practically irreplaceable (photo albums or your grandmother’s jewelry)
- Back-up copies of important computer files (hardcopies or on a flash drive)
This list may seem overwhelming, but don’t worry! Affordable Moving offers the best moving services in Texas, and we will be more than happy to do the heavy lifting for you and assist in any way we can. Affordable Moving provides packaging materials and equipment, such as stretch wrap, tape, boxes, dollies, blankets, and more.
- Show movers where to place furniture and boxes
- Check inventory to ensure that everything was delivered
- Ask movers to assemble any furniture that was taken apart for transportation
- Unpack any valuable items upon arrival
- If you are elderly or a college student, make sure your discount is applied!
After the Move
- Walk and drive around your new neighborhood to familiarize yourself with it
- Check your smoke alarms
- Change the locks for safety
- Get new driver’s licenses, library cards, and voter registration cards
- Enroll children in school
- Write a review for your favorite moving company – Affordable Moving, the best movers in West Texas!
Remember that Affordable Moving is the best moving company in Lubbock and all of West Texas! We offer a variety of services, including packing, disassembling/assembling, full-service, transportation, and more. You can count on us to handle all your moving needs!